Surface RT for Business Travel

As someone who does light to medium office work on my business trips (creating editing Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents, e-mail, skype chats) as well as wanting light entertainment (music, movies, games) while traveling, I would typically bring a netbook and an iPad on all my business trips. They both filled their niches and I was generally a happy camper.  I recently brought my Surface RT on a 10-day business trip as my only computing device. My initial conculsion was that it was working well for me after the first day and a half, and that impression didn't change throughtout the rest of the trip.

One thing that really impressed me was the battery. Not only does it have adequate battery life - I never had it run out in the middle of the day with moderate use - but it charges quickly - about 2 hours for a full charge. This meant that I could use it all day, then put it on the charger while I went out to dinner, and it would usually be done by the time I returned to my hotel room. The battery also did a great job during my flights - my trip was overseas, so I had a 7 hour flight, then 3 hour layover, then another 2 hour flight). I used the surface extensively (watched a couple of movies each way, read books, played games, used Skype and checked e-mail during my layover) and still had battery left when I arrived at my destination.

I have covered most of my thoughts regarding using the Surface for business trips in my previous post, and don't have much to add here. I also posted about some annoyances that I came across on my trip. Numbers 1, 6, and 8 are more relevant for business travel than the others. A few other items of note :
  • SkyDrive integration is seamless. The Surface was able to use the SkyDrive like a local disk drive on the computer, allowing quick access to work files from the Office applications. It had the added benefit of allowing me to share working documents with colleagues without using e-mail. The only downside is that you need an active Internet connection to access the files stored there.
  • Printer support seems robust. I was connected to a wireless network and needed to print a document. I was trying to figure out how I may go about installing a driver and clicked on Devices and Printers, and lo and behold, the Xerox multifunction printer on the network showed up on my system without me needing to do anything, and I was able to print without any issues.
  • The USB port is a really nice accessory. There were times when I had to transfer files when I did not have Internet access, and being able to use a USB thumb drive was very useful. I was also able to take a USB stick with 10 movies on it so I would have plenty of things to watch on my flights.  
  • The Surface fits well on a tray table. With the keyboard attached, it fits as well as my 10" netbook did, and it is even better when I detach the keyboard and just watch movies.
I find that, for what I need when I travel, the Surface RT is an adequate replacement for both my iPad and netbook. I think it will be accompanying me a lot in the future.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Douk P1 DAC/Preamp/Headphone Amp review

Things I have on my list to post about

Surface RT Annoyances